Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ride, Johnny, Ride

You know, sometimes I can be at the absolute bottom of my littl pit and a good song, or a good comic book or a rocking song can just turn the whole day on its head. That's been happening a lot lately, especially since my second viewing of Grindhouse. Being the consumate geek that I am, I took a pad and pen to the movie this time, and jotted down just about every cultural reference I could catch, from Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry to Zatoichi. I Netflixed all of them, and have been enjoying the living hell out of myself since. But I have more than 1960's car chase movies to thank (Vanishing Point, by the way, is fucking AWESOME), I also a big debt of thanks to Chris Brown's CD collection. On Saturday night, I got semi-sauced and spent the entire night (I mean ENTIRE, approximately 7:30 PM-1:00 AM) burning copies of interesting-looking CD's from CB's collection. So for the past week, I've been rocking out to Wire, Husker Du, The Clash, and Zero Boys. My only question is why I have not been listening to this music my entire life. It may just be the head space I am in, but I really just like driving home from work to Husker Du, getting home and watching a movie featuring guys in aviators and huge sideburns. It's just been that kind of month, man.

Sara Hebert, by the way, is coming to visit in May, during grad weekend. I am looking forward to doing some real partying with her - we've got a lot of good friends to be proud of for finishing the four years of alternating banality and brilliance that is Centenary College. In the meantime, I'll be listening to Grant Hart (he was the drummer) and Bob Mould (he was in Sugar) songs and watching cars crash into each other with glee. I'm also gonna try to blog more frequently, though it may be less cinema and music-oriented, and more just life and bullshit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

CJ, now don't watch all those netflix movies without me. Glad to hear you're enjoying my cds. Get as many as you can in the next four months! For a couple fun and surreal Husker Du moments, check these out. -CB

on Good Company:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUMlQPGZhPY

on Joan Rivers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefkvjcjNj8

on the Today Show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v18EnoGfWyw

10:25 AM  
Blogger Chris Jay said...

CB, I bought "Dirty Mary/Crazy Larry," I liked it so much. I already have gotten it in the mail. You will like it a lot, I think. I love Zen Arcade, and I really like this Wire album, "On Returning." "Ex Lion Tamer" is an amazing song.

Noma! While Sara is in for grad, we should come by and see you.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home