Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Random Music Post




I just got the new album by THE BLOW, a Portland, OR-based indie R&B group, and I just had to share my thoughts on it. It's like the love child of Timbaland, Hot Chip, The Sugar Hill Gang, and Futuro Boots. It's AMAZING. If you like '80s synthesizers, indie rock girls, R. Kelly, and R&B hooks that can be at once funny and heartbreakingly endearing, there's no reason you're not listening to this band.

I believe that my favorite thing (other than the bootylicious drum machine rhythms) is the blunt, no-shit attitude of the lead singer, who is a very hilarious, sexy, and strong young woman. I love opening lines like:

"I guess I'm on the long long list/
of girls who love the shit/
out of you."

She sings it over a beat that sounds like someone put The Units and Lil' Jon in a blender. It's that good. It kicks a lot of ass, samples D4L's "Laffy Taffy," and just generally left me slac-jawed and grateful that someone out there is making this music. It's for you, trust me. Here's their Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/theblowus

This is my first contender for album of the year, even if it came out last year. Damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home